- Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein. 3.5/5 stars.
- Into the Wild by Erin Hunter. 3.5/5.
- Horns by Joe Hill. 5/5, review.
- Providence by Caroline Kepnes. 4/5 stars, review.
- I’m Not Missing by Carrie Fountain. 5/5 stars, review.
- The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon. 4.5/5 stars, review.
- If You See Me, Don’t Say Hi by Neel Patel. 4/5 stars, review.
- I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly and JM Ken Niimura. 4/5 stars, review.
- The Poisoned City by Anna Clark. This one didn’t quite live up to expectations. It included a lot of good information, but was formulated in a way that didn’t hold my interest. I understand why all the backstory was included, as it provided a context, but at the same time it worked as a distraction and made it difficult for me to follow things. Not a bad book by any means, just not written in a way that was helpful to me.
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey. I was just… entirely uninterested and made extremely uncomfortable. I have difficulties with classics sometimes. Oh well.
- Caged by Ellison Cooper. This book isn’t bad, it just isn’t good. The writing could have used some polishing, the characters feel not very real, the plot is a bit interesting but not interesting enough to keep me engaged. It could have used a lot more “show not tell” imo. It does have some diversity to it, at least: the MC is a biracial woman of color. I do also want to warn potential readers that there is a trans character who is forced to come out due to circumstances beyond their control as part of the plot. It is a “twist” in a way and as a cis person, I cannot comment on the rep, but I felt a little uncomfortable about it.
Books read: 8
Books DNF’d: 3
Average Rating: 4.19 stars
- The Theory of Everything  directed by James Marsh. 3/5 stars.
- Fahrenheit 451  directed by Ramin Bahrani. 3/5 stars.
- Dawn of the Dead  directed by Zack Snyder. 3/5 stars.
- The Purge  directed by James DeMonaco. 2.5/5 stars.
- Shortest and Longest Books on my TBR
- Books I Should Have Read Already
- 200 Follower Giveaway!
- The Mid-Year Freakout Tag 2018
- The Art of Escaping [review]
- Down the TBR Hole #18
- Series I Need to Finish
- Down the TBR Hole #19
Notable Posts By Others:
- Discussion | Romance in Media, Aphobia & Happy Endings by Lia @ Lost in a Story
Reading Goal Progress:
In June, I read 8 books, which puts me at a total of 43 books for the year. I’m 6 books ahead of schedule and at 57% of my reading goal for the year. 🙂
I also decided this month (halfway through the year…) to do the 2018 AtoZ Reading Challenge, which entails reading a book for each letter of the alphabet. Any titles that start with the words “A” or “The” will go off of the first letter of the second word. Make sense? Here’s what I’ve got so far.
A: Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer
B: The Body Is Not an Apology by Sonya Renee Taylor
C: Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
E: Emperor Mage by Tamora Pierce
G: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
H: A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay
I: The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin
M: Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
N: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
P: Providence by Caroline Kepnes
Q: Quiet Rumours edited by AK Press
R: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
S: Stardust by Neil Gaiman
T: Text Me When You Get Home by Kayleen Schaefer
U: Unwifeable by Mandy Stadtmiller
W: Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce
Monthly Photo Dump: